And I’m in Bangkok

After two egregiously long flights, I have finally arrived in Bangkok. The fact that I left on the 31st and got here by the 2nd of September is definitely messing with my inner clock. As of right now, I’m not too tired. I slept pretty well on the first flight from Boston to Dubai, I’m not entirely sure for how long but I woke up as we were flying over Eastern Europe. For the last four or five hours of the flight, I watched a movie listened to a couple West Wing Weekly Podcasts (also my heart is broken because they don’t have The West Wing on Netflix here) and was in and out of sleep.

When we got to Dubai, it was around 8 pm, so it was dark out and generally low-key in the airport. Still, I enjoyed observing all the outfits and all the different people from different places. I don’t know if this is just me, but I like to peek at all the different passports. India’s passport is jet black, Russia’s is a deep red, and the navy blue passport is, of course, the US. For me, this is one way I know I am surrounded by people from all over the world. It puts life into perspective in a way. I landed with an hour and a half before my flight was supposed to board. Then, all too quickly, I was back on a plane to Bangkok.

Immigration was easy. The agent, maybe looked at me once while talking to his co-worker, and he quickly stamped my passport, and I was on my way. Then came baggage claim. I waited for my two bags and was then on a mission to exchange money and get a SIM card for my phone. I must have gone to four different ATM’s to try to use my debit card, and none of them worked. Finally, I gave in and used my credit card at the money exchange counter. I asked for 5,000 Baht which is around $150 US. After getting money, I attempted to get a SIM card. Unfortunately, my phone wasn’t unlocked yet. Granted I guess I waited until the last minute to unlock it, but honestly why does it take more than 24 hours to unlock a phone? I settled with buying the SIM card so I can put it in later.

Relying on the airport’s questionable Wifi, I finally got word to my Airbnb host that I had arrived and that I was heading to our meeting place. After briefly explaining my phone troubles, Thonant, sent me an audio recording of the directions to the spot in Thai. This was a LIFE SAVER! I just played the recording for the taxi driver, and he took me right there, easy as cake for something I had been worried about for ages. Thonant then showed me to my little apartment, and I couldn’t be happier. With a little bedroom, living room, bathroom and pool access down the hall I have more than what I need.

Once I had the apartment to myself, I couldn’t help but run to the pool. I had a few moments of bliss in the pool by myself. It felt so great to wade into a pool after being in a claustrophobic plane for a day. After my pool excursion, I came right back to the apartment and took the most invigorating shower. The shower was a rebirth, I feel like a whole different person now. Since then I have been working on this post, trying not to fall asleep, and also attempting to figure out where I can get food in this joint.

That’s all for now, thanks for reading, xoxox


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s